The Generations Unit at Newton Medical Center is a 12-bed unit specially designed to evaluate and treat behavioral health issues associated with aging. We are dedicated to providing excellent care centered on the individual needs of each patient and their families.
We create a homelike environment in which people can work on mental health issues and socialization. Families are included, supported and welcomed.
Our Unit features:
- Locked unit for added security
- Private rooms with individual bathrooms
- Private dining room
- Common activity room and living area
- Individualized and group activities
- Psycho-social sessions with Licensed Masters Social Workers
- Certified animal-assisted therapy
- Music & Memory℠ Certified Facility
The Generations Unit is for people typically ages 55 and older who are experiencing any of the following:
- Change in cognitive status — new onset or increase in disorientation, delusions, hallucinations, etc.
- Suicidal thoughts
- Self-destructive behavior
- Assaultive or aggressive behavior
- Changes in sleep, appetite or mood
- Difficulty performing everyday activities, such as grooming and hygiene, and are resistive to help
- Withdrawn, isolating behavior or loss of interest
- Medically supervised alcohol or drug detoxification
Mental illnesses commonly treated:
- Alzheimer’s and other dementias
- Psychotic disorders
- Major depression
- Bipolar disorder
- Anxiety disorders
For consideration for admission, patients should:
- Be medically stable
- Require geriatric psychiatric nursing care 24 hours a day and close supervision by a physician
- Have the potential to improve functional skills
Pre-admission screenings are provided at no charge to determine eligibility for admission. To request a pre-admission screening, or additional for information, call (316) 804-6119.
We recommend that the legal guardian or durable power of attorney (DPOA) for health care be available in person or by phone at the time of admission.